We all have that one list that we dream to follow. It is either hooked on the work desk or pasted on the wardrobe door or is kept safe under the glass layer over the table..but we ensure to stare at it every day and perhaps aim to fulfil it at the earliest. Well, if you are still making that list or have a little scope to add something, let me convince you to make Iceland a part of it.
Here are 11 miraculous reasons why you should include Iceland in your bucket list and will also help you to design your itinerary for Iceland.
Also read: What not to do in Iceland- 8 tips
1.Road Trip– If you love driving and you love a good view- Iceland is the obvious choice. There is no view that is not worth capturing. Each and every landscape of this country is just ecstatic and awestruck. You would not feel like keeping your camera back in its shell, unless it is raining..!
Also read: Finding the Cheapest Campervan in Iceland & Campsites for an Epic Road Trip
2. Glacial Lagoon and Diamond beach– Believe me, I am not exaggerating this. It was a cozy drive for miles and miles on the ring road, when suddenly on my left I saw these inexplicable Icebergs. I literally forgot to blink my eyes as the view just from the car was spectacular. Imagine what it must have been when I was actually there at the beach. A must must part of your Iceland itinerary.
3. Black Sand Beach– Ever wondered clicking pictures in colour mode and getting only black and white pictures. It was exactly my experience at Black Sand beach. Thanks to my yellow jacket, I could add some colours to my pictures. I never knew black was so mysterious in its own essence.
4. Waterfalls- If you are planning your itinerary for Iceland, you ofcourse cannot miss visiting waterfalls. I have to confess God has bestowed his best of creations only to specific lucky places on the globe. Iceland is one of them. The best of the waterfalls in best of their virtues can be seen here. For example, there is Gullfoss where sun rays make a golden embarked rainbow. Then there is majestic Skogafoss and breathtaking Skaftafell with their own distinctive beauty. And my favourite Seljalandsfoss where you can actually experience a 360 degree view of the waterfall. Literally, each waterfall competes with another in perfection.
5. Faraway Land– Remember that scenery that we used to paint when we were a kid? Faraway land where there was just one house with a narrow path and few trees around it. I spotted my own sketched scenery for real in Iceland. It was like a standalone house protected under the arms of the magnificent hills and a narrow one lane river flowing around it. Never knew my connection with the place was that intuitive!!!
6. Geothermal activities- Geysir and Þingvellir National park are perfect examples of familiarising with the inner core of the earth. The heat from the crust of the earth builds a pressure that escapes the ruptured surface and explodes like a hot wave of a fountain. It is astonishing to experience such a humble explosion at Geysir, every 8-10 minutes. At Þingvellir National Park, the tectonic plates between North America and Eurasia are drifting apart from each other for about 3mm every year. One can actually do scuba diving there in summers.
7. Northern Lights- I know your Iceland itinerary definitely includes Northern Lights but Iceland cannot boast for showering best of Northern Lights and that too prominently. Although, it is one of those places in the belt of Aurora Borealis that you can definitely take as an extra excuse to visit. Most of the year it remains cloudy which does not promise the spotting of Northern Lights very frequently. But nevertheless, you can always give your luck a chance to hope if Iceland could welcome you with a star studded sky and dancing green lights.
8. Lava fields- At the edge of Laugahraun lava field, there is a place in the highlands of the Iceland called Landmannalaugar, which I would not classify as a part of earth. It is like you are altogether in a different planet. The field was formed in an eruption around the year 1477, is still known for its geothermal hot springs and painted canvas landscapist beauty. Now that Mars is really far and could not be a part of your bucket list, Iceland definitely scores a visit.
9. Free Entry Visits– Apart from Kerið, which is an existing crater, I have not paid any entry ticket at any of the natural sites. High Five to all the budget travellers like me. The directions were very clear throughout the ring road and easily accessible. Even the parking places were free except Seljalandsfoss and Þingvellir national park. Provided the best of the nature could be enjoyed for free, Iceland is worth a visit.
10. Horses and cattle- I cannot finish my blog without mentioning about them. William Shakespeare said about horses, “When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes.” Now I know what he means. Horses in Iceland do not define splendour, it is self- defined. A click with them has to be a part of your album.
Trick Question: Why is cattle always grazing?
11. Peaceful Journey– Ever chased a time travel when you were listening to a poetry or a novel; ever imagined a journey on a well-defined road with no one else to block; ever thought of those Frost’s miles that one needs to cover before one sleeps; the wait ends at Iceland. Don’t believe me? Visit it yourself and you will find the answers.
Please comment if you think there are more mysterious reasons to visit Iceland. I am sure, there will be more..!!!
For a gallery of beautiful pictures, visit my Instagram and Facebook page: @littlejoysandmore.
thank u so much 🙂
Hi. Which is the best month to visit Iceland.
Hi Neeti. I actually went there in oct but days were really short. I had to start early so that I could visit natural sites accordingly. I would rather suggest summers when days are longer. But you can give a little chance to Northern Lights which happen from mid Sept to mid April. So it is actually a tough decision.
Excellent pictures ,
Thank u 🙂
A well written article, takes the reader to the place described! To add to it are the beautiful pictures taken. Enjoyed reading it!
Thank u so much Akanksha 🙂
It looks amazing, I have only ever flown over Iceland, but now I would love to see it.
ohh yes..! Iceland should definitely be a part of your bucket list 🙂
So gorgeous!….and mysterious!! Your pictures are beautiful and I’ve always wanted to see the Northern Lights, so I may just have to add Iceland to my dream list 🙂
Thanks a lot Natashya. Iceland is indeed a dream place. It is very beautiful 🙂
Amazing article and place…feel like going there
Whenever you plan…I am just a message away 🙂
Iceland is amazing!!! I’ve been there 3 times now in 3 different season and I’m trying to plan my fourth trip back to drive the ring road. You have some amazing photos! What kind of camera do you use? I’m so jealous you got so many photos without all the tourists!
Iceland is a truly magical island, we visited it in 2013 for 22 days and we fell in love with this stunning country and its people. Nice photos.
I love Iceland! Have been missing it ever since!
Already on the list! Although, it’s on the list for the aurora… and maybe that’s not the best place… still, the black and white beach though. Stays on the list.
Honestly I never need a reason for Iceland. I just know I fell in love with it the day Isaw its first picture. I dont need to be convinced. All I need is an air ticket🤣 hope to make it there soon!
What I appreciate is you didn’t mention the popular Blue Lagoon, but gave me 11 new reasons to get on a plane tomorrow. Lol. The glaciers did it for me.
Iceland has been on my list for a while now and this collection of reasons doesn’t help my wanderlust at all! haha! The glaciers, waterfalls, hot springs, northern lights.. I want to see it all! I hope to go sooon! 🙂
Definitely on my bucket list already! It just looks like another planet, so many wonderful landscapes to explore!!
Iceland is on my list as well. It is just so beautiful! I can’t wait to visit.
Stunning pictures❤️❤️ Iceland has been on my mind primarily for the Northern Lights, but after looking at all these other lovely sights, I can’t wait to plan a trip there. What time of the year did you visit?
Hi Sunami, we went there in October. Skies were meant to be clearer then…but one has to be really lucky to be able to see the Northern Lights. 🙂
One thing I would like to say is car insurance canceling is a horrible experience so if you’re doing the best things as a driver you won’t get one. A number of people do have the notice that they are officially dumped by their insurance company and many have to fight to get further insurance after a cancellation. Low cost auto insurance rates are often hard to get after a cancellation. Knowing the main reasons regarding auto insurance cancelling can help motorists prevent losing one of the most essential privileges obtainable. Thanks for the ideas shared via your blog.
magnificent submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the opposite specialists of this sector don’t notice this. You must continue your writing. I’m sure, you’ve a great readers’ base already!
Thanks a lot for providing individuals with an extraordinarily breathtaking chance to read in detail from this blog. It’s usually so awesome and packed with fun for me personally and my office fellow workers to search your site more than three times a week to see the fresh issues you have. Not to mention, we’re certainly astounded considering the staggering methods served by you. Some 1 tips in this posting are undeniably the best we’ve ever had.
This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!
I take pleasure in, cause I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye
Excellent website. Plenty of useful info here. I¡¦m sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks for your effort!
I love what you’ve created here, this is definitely one of my favorite sites to visit.
I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours lately, yet I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is pretty value enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the internet will be much more helpful than ever before.
Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.
Hello there, I discovered your website via Google at the same time as looking for a related subject, your web site came up, it seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
I spent a lot of time to locate something similar to this
of writing i am as well delighted to share my know-how here with colleagues.
This is really helpful, thanks.
Thanks for the great manual
It works very well for me
I enjoy the article
Comments are closed.