Looking for the best driving routes in Isle of Skye? This article will talk about the two best driving routes in Isle of Skye– detailed and with motivating pictures; plus a bonus.
I always believe that, ‘Beauty is just a magnitude of vision.’ It does not depend on what we want to see, it depends more on what we are seeing. Nature has its own surplus formations and enrooted structures, regardless of any terrain, land or topography. Nature governs its own supremacy in its sovereignty of exquisiteness and magnificence.
Scotland was like a dream for me. From the alluring orbit of panoramic spectacle, Highlands of Scotland hypnotize anyone and everyone who comes to live this enchanted dream. The nature unveils its own curtains of best shades of the rainbow to bestow a caprice of trance. And there I was, from those chapters of my geography book, witnessing the best of Highlands in the world- Isle of Skye.
I booked a car from Edinburgh Airport and spent a day at Inverness before visiting Isle of Skye. (I wanted to save the best for the last.) I started my day early around 7 am in the morning calculating my driving duration, time of the sunset and the level of exhaustion. Fortunately, nature loves me as much as I love it and the sun blessed me with a shining and an unclouded day.
Before crossing the elegant Skye Bridge nestled on Loch Alsh, I stopped at a restored 13th century castle called Eilean Donan. Parking was easy and free, I just followed the signs and got to the parking lot. I did not enter the castle as I had already seen few in Inverness and Edinburgh and by this time I was enticed to experience the natural beauty of Skye.
I planned and decided to make the maximum use of my sunny day and chased two driving routes to venture into the enigmatic beauty of this island. They are detailed below.
1. Portree- Staffin- Duntulum- Uig- Portree
- I halted at Portree for a quick bite. Portree is also the capital city of Isle of Skye and therefore offers multiple eating joints, supermarket and gas filling station. It is advisable to substantially fill your stomach and car tank at Portree because options get leaner by the time we return back to Portree.
- I switched from A87 to A855 at Portree, which is a narrower version of the former. The roads are well maintained and it is easy to drive, provided traffic rules are followed. The flora and the landscape around create a mystical spirituality that lets you dive in even further.
- The best part about road trip is finding the random stops and not flinching by an ounce to capture them. I took full advantage of this opportunity. This definitely helps me in making my Instagram portfolio!!
- My first major stop was at The Old Man of Storr. It is a deluded pinnacle of rock that stands high, asking for its own space and thus, gathering maximum attention. From the car park (by the way it is not easy to park considering the fact that it is one of the popular spots), the trek is almost for almost 2 hours, provided one would also stop at various locations to click pictures. The trek is divine, full of surprises and beautiful shots at every step. The highlight of the trek is ofourse the zenith where heaven and earth bow to create a deity.
- The next one was Lealt Falls. Not a major halt, the spot has a picturesque waterfall creating ripples of passionate steer to urge for more.
- Before reaching the apex of the island, I halted at Kilt Rock and Mealt Falls Viewpoint. This one was the most vibrant spot in my trip. Parking the car is a hassle as there is a small designated area for the same, good part being it is free and easy to find. As soon as I entered the vicinity of the viewpoint, I was welcomed by a bagpiper who scored background music for the setting. From the belvedere, the lookout of the highlands, the falls and the complete scenery was harmonious and alleviating. It was like Mother Nature has used her best of her ingredients to make a perfect recipe of blessed Skye.
- A few miles more and there came another alluring spot of my trip- Duntulm Castle. The castle is deteriorating as it is not strong enough to resist the winds of Skye but has its own identity of an explicit aura. Beneath the castle, there are shredded, uneven and bluntly submerged rocks that are a delight to see. They set an ideal vista to decorate the wellbeing of the castle, adding to its distinctiveness.
- Adjacent to the Castle, almost 2 miles away is the Skye Museum of Island Life. It was closed by the time I reached there but the exteriors definitely looked inviting and appealing. The museum is closed on Sundays and rest of the days, it is open from 9:30 am to 5 pm, with an entrance ticket of 2.5 pounds per adult. There is also a coffee house that serves coffee or hot chocolate for a pound. I was desperately looking out for a coffee at that point, alas! I had to wait till I reach back Portree.
- Finally, the Uig that offers another opportunity to witness the beautiful landscape.
After a brief coffee break at Broadford, I realised I still had time to chase another route before the sun sets and it gets dark. This route was only 34 minutes car drive and I decided to complete it with no halts.
2. Broadford- Elgol-Broadford
- From Broadford, I took B8083 towards Elgol.
- This route has its own views that mark its own distinguished trail of scenery.
- It is not advisable to try this route if it is raining, as the street is narrow and muddy and might not promise a pleasant experience.
- The car ride is almost an hour return with no halts, but vouches for a good view and a good drive.
Besides these two routes, there is one more route that can be followed in the southern part of the Island called Sleat Peninsula. It is a prospective route to capture a sight of the very popular Armadale Castle.
If you like my travel blog, please encourage me by joining my conversation on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Please feel free to comment below to ask me any questions regarding my road trip or share a thumbs up.
This looks like quite the place to travel. Love the pictures!
Thank you Dani 😊
You must have felt sorry for missing the Skye Museum. It looks like there are plenty of artifacts and hidden gems inside it! Love the scenery – it is mind-blowing!
Yes, but I think this gives me one more excuse to visit the place again. 😊😊
Great places to travel! Thanks for sharing!
It is! Very very beautiful.
These are just some breath-taking views!
Such beautiful pictures
Amazing pictures! And this article was very fun as we could read about your experiences.
Thank you so much 😊😊
These pictures make me feel like you are at the end of the world. looks amazing! Thank you for sharing!
This place is truly amazing! I hope I´ll make to visit it some time in the future!
What a beautiful views and pure atmosphere, I hope I can visit these places one day
Scotland looks like a dream in these pictures. I love road trips and have driven on some scenic routes. It is an experience in itself! I am glad that you had a great time.
wow what beautiful pictures. This is a great list for someone who might be looking for daytrip ideas and doesn’t know the area.
Looks amazing! Can you get around without a car or is that a necessity?
Hi Claire. Honestly, I cannot help you much here. I did make an initial research about the public transportation there and was not very convinced and hence decided to rent a car.
If views are like that, I’d buy a camper van and live my life there.
Thanks for sharing this. It made me want to visit this place.
More power to your blog.
Actually a good idea. Maybe I should try it next time 🙂
Scotland looks amazing! Inspired me to take time to check out the castles and the sky!
You have a great pictures. And you’re right, the fun in road trip, is you can stop wherever and capture some sceneries. I haven’t seen a bagpiper in person, I hope I can see one someday 🙂
You got fantastic shots – so good I want to go! I have gone to Ireland a few times and was amazed at the various geological difference depending on where you went. (The rocky northwest was a surprise.) Thanks for sharing!
Lovely photos you have there of your scenic drives! I’ve never heard much of Isle of Skye, but your post has certainly attracted my attention, especially since I love picturesque natural scenery so much. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Nathan. That’s definitely the place to visit in Scotland.
The scenery is spectacular what a beautiful drive it must have been on this scenic route. Are there many choice of hotels to stay there??
Hi Nayna, yes there are a couple of options to stay there. Infact the budget option is to stay in B&B.
Oh I’m so jealous. Visiting the Isle of Skye in Scotland is very high up in my travel bucket list. Your photos are terrific – you were lucky to have such beautiful weather with blue skies above. And a bagpipe player to boot! What a fun adventure to enjoy yourself or with a small group of friends!
I completely agree. I was just there for a day and I could not have asked for more. 🙂
I love long road trips. Scotland seems to be perfect dream destination for road trips. All the stops you made en route seem like worth it! Duntulm castle make it all the more atmospheric. Hope something is done to protect it though.
I really enjoyed this post and your photos are beautiful. I’m really jealous because the Isle of Skye in Scotland is high on my travel bucket list. You were lucky to have such good weather and blue skies. Thanks for sharing!
You have well explained the best driving routes in Isle of Skye. The scenery of the place is amazing.
Your article really urges me to visit this isle of skye one day! The photos are beautiful and remarkable. I love this.
Wow! Great pictures and descriptions! Would love to visit Scotland some day.
I have heard so much about the isle of skye but don’t seem to get enough of it anytime. Your pictures are so beautiful and reading your article left like I was on the trip with you 🙂 will save this for future reference when I plan my road trip in this beautiful land.
Scotland has for us always been the place which is the stuff that dreams are made of. ITs castles and wonderfully stunning landscapes have always inspired us and we await the day when we wake up in those beautiful environs. The Isle of Skye seems to embody everything that Scotland means to us and seems straight out of a fairytale.
Wow! so very wonderful photos! I love it! Such an amazing scenery… We also have beautiful places here in my country and I really enjoy every moment I spent in there, such a great escape getaway! Thanks for posting these beautiful photos!
Hey would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!
Hi. I a using wordpress and would definitely recommend it. I feel they offer a vast array of plugins to make the whole experience of blogging entertaining and easy. 🙂
Thank you a lot for sharing this with all of us you really recognize what you’re talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also talk over with my site =). We will have a hyperlink change contract between us!
аll the timе і used tօ rеad ѕmaller content wһich alѕo ϲlear theіr
motive, andd tһat iis also happening wіth this post whіch I am reading at this timе.
Your mode of explaining alⅼ in this article is really pleasant, еvery օne can ᴡithout difficulty кnow
іt, Tһanks a lοt.
It’s exhausting to find knowledgeable folks on this matter, however you sound like you already know what you’re speaking about! Thanks
That is very interesting, You are a very professional blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in search of more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!
That is very kind. Thank you 🙂
I have been absent for a while, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thank you, I’ll try and check back more often. How frequently you update your site?
Sorry it’s been sometime that I have not been able to introduce any new article, but I am back on my wheels. 😛
For newest information you have to visit world wide web and on web I found this site as a best website for most up-to-date updates.
I was looking through some of your posts on this site and I conceive this site is rattling informative! Continue putting up.
I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
was great. I do not know who you are but certainly you’re going to a famous blogger
if you aren’t already 😉 Cheers!
Hi there! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the good info you’ve gotten right here on this post. I will probably be coming again to your blog for more soon.
I’ve been surfing on-line more than 3 hours nowadays, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.
It’s pretty value sufficient for me. Personally, if all web owners and
bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the net shall be a lot
more helpful than ever before.
you are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any unique trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a great job on this topic!
sound like you know what you?re talking about! Thanks
What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has helped me out loads. I’m hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me. Good job.
here! Good luck for the next!
I conceive this web site has got some real good information for everyone
Hi there mates, fastidious paragraph and fastidious urging
commented at this place, I am truly enjoying by these.
I have been checking out many of your stories and i can state pretty
I just couldn’t depart your web site prior to suggesting
that I extremely loved the usual info a person provide in your
guests? Is going to be again incessantly in order to inspect new posts
With thanks! Valuable information!
With thanks! Valuable information!
Hello. impressive job. I did not anticipate this.
good stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your blog.
Really informative post.Much thanks again. Great.
Comments are closed.